I started to think of the issues that can surround those of us Type-Aers that are always looking for things to be a bit better. I mentally compiled a list of reasons I need to calm the ef down, and not strive for complete perfection.
1. Nothing I do is ever good enough in my eyes - I noticed a couple posts back that I used "your" when I should have used "you're." I'm still pissed.
2. Nothing ANYONE does is good enough - I have high standards for myself and everyone around me; therefore, I always see how something could have been done more efficiently or better. I wanted to know if this was a me thing or if other perfectionists felt the same way. I conducted an informal survey (texts, IG, Twitter, and G-chat), turns out I'm not the only one. Others also feel that everyone could be a whole lot better at everything. It irks them when they see some task being performed beneath their standards.
3. No one will ever call me laid back - All my life, I have wanted to be described as laid back, but with my lists, phone alerts, multiple calendars, and mind-melting editing hours, I will never be described as laid back - much to my dismay.
4. We can take dieting and exercise too far - We are so focused on perfection, when we start a diet or exercise plan, we strive to do it perfectly, and sometimes it can go overboard. Along the same vein, when I had my son, obviously, I was a little flabby. It didn't bother me that I had gained weight, it bothered me that it looked messy. I wanted to be compact because it appeared more...neat, I guess. My motivation for this point is that I started a diet for the first time after I had Jax, and without realizing it, I had lost way too much weight. I took the diet like a competition I had to win.
5. If something can't be perfect, we quit in the middle - This was brought to me from my good friend, Jenn. She's the queen bee of perfect. She's my perfectionist Buddah. I strive to reach her type-A nirvana. She was helping me with my son's baby shower decor. I am a selective perfectionist. We were working on a pendent banner, and I was half-assing it because I was tired and huge (she was pregnant too, but a much better trooper). Turns out, she stayed up late and re-did everything I did. Other projects got tossed aside because she knew she wouldn't be able to make them as perfect as she wanted. But, I have to hand it to the girl, everything was flawless.
These are a few of the items I came up with to convince myself to try and chill a little. I love the type-A in me. I get shit done! However, no one is perfect. Not you. Not me. I
I have bigger fish to fry than obsessing over using the wrong your.
What I listed to while writing this:
Say it Ain't So by Weezer